Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Day 12 - Reflecting and Preparing to Go Home...

Me (Ainsley) and Giovy with some of the kids at Watoto!
As I sit here staring at the computer screen, I’m at a loss for words. Not because I have nothing to say, but because I have so much in my heart to share. As we face our last night in Kampala, I’m in awe. I’m in awe of the incredible and indescribable work of my Almighty God. These past two weeks have been some of the hardest, yet BEST days of my life. Why hard? LOTS of reasons and more than I can name in a few sentences. In these past two weeks I have felt a heart wrenching pain for the orphans and children of Uganda. I have looked into the eyes of countless children who suffer from HIV, no family to call their own, and/or have no hope. Immediately my heart is overwhelmed with love and compassion for each of them. I believe God showed me a glimpse of His love for me as I was filled with a motherly love for each and every child. Also, it’s been hard because God has taken these two weeks and completely stripped me of myself and covered me in His love and grace. He has broken walls in my life and for the first time in a long time I’m completely consumed and passionately in love with my Heavenly Father. In His faithfulness, He has called me by name and rescued me from myself.

BUT…in the midst of the hard times (more GOOD than hard), I have completely fallen in love with Uganda, and most importantly the people of this country. As I board the airplane tomorrow and head back to ‘real life,’ I know that my heart will be left here. The work of God I’ve had the privilege of witnessing is life changing. I’m honored to be able to be here alongside my Mercy sisters and serving our Lord Jesus by reaching His people.

Since I was five years old, I’ve had a love for the African people…a love I’ve never understood, until now. I will never be the same. My prayer is that above else, all glory, honor, and praise is given to my Jesus.

- By Ainsley

8 comments:

  1. Beautiful words Ainsley :) So proud of you!! Praying for safety as you all begin your travels tomorrow!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just... wow. Amazing God, amazing love for all of us. Also praying for safe travels!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joy LITERALLY took the words out of my mouth... I was about to say the exact same thing (so I will) -- BEAUTIFUL words Ainsley!!
    Also, my good friend Becca (one of my sorority sisters and actually the girl who led me to Christ and later baptized me) went to Uganda for the first time for two weeks back in December and left her heart there when she had to come home as well. She ended up taking another trip over spring break and now that she has graduated college is going back in a few weeks and staying for a couple months this time. God has so put Uganda on her heart that she wishes she could just move there full time to take care of His precious children.
    All of this to say... I can't empathize since I've never been, but I can sympathize! I will be praying for all of your hearts as you return that you would have a smooth transition into life back home. Each and every one of you ladies are AMAZING!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful, Ainsley!!! I am so proud of you, sweet girl!! You perfectly described the JOY that comes with serving our Lord:) I pray for safe and SMOOTH travels. I pray God's protection on everyone's luggage and belongings. I pray for sweet peace and rest in your minds and body as you travel. I pray for continued favor with people and the airline. I pray for wisdom and strength. I pray that the bond you all have will NEVER be broken!! In Jesus Name....love you guys!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It has been amazing to see all you have accomplished in such a short amount of time. I know that there was much preparation, but the reward is so much greater! Thank you all for sharing the journey with us!

    Leah

    ReplyDelete
  7. I echo Joy on this one. We are so very proud of you all. God has really done an awesome work in your hearts and for the people of Uganda. May He be glorified!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your words touched me deeply, Ainsley--I am sure you spoke for everyone on the trip. You have blessed us here at home by sharing your journey, as well as the people in Uganda. We love and appreciate each one of you. May you have a safe trip home.

    ReplyDelete