Sunday, July 31, 2011

Day 10 - A Word from our Host...


Melvin just after we sprayed him with Silly String - he's such a trooper!!

We have mentioned several times that we have had the best host here in Uganda...his name is Melvin.  When we asked Melvin if he'd be interested in writing one of the blogs during our trip, he jumped at the chance!  Therefore, we wanted to share with you what Melvin had to say...

"A friend once told me that man can never fully change man, only God can fully change man and today I see this in it's entirety.

Hosting the Mercy Ministries girls has been such a blessing for me. I had the privilege of hearing some of their testimonies and I was blown away beyond any thing I could ever imagine. Knowing that they went through all that, yet seeing them now as a brand new creation reminds me that our God is more than anything we could ever fathom.  I sat there and listened as one by one they shared their testimonies and I remember just being in awe of God.  It was hard to believe that these were the people that went through all that. Yet today they travel thousands of miles to come build a classroom block for children they probably might never meet, but at the back of their minds they know that these children will become the future leaders of Uganda so they build with all their strength. To me, right there is what Christianity is all about -- 'LOVE'.

All I can say is that it's crystal clear that there are people out there determined to change the world and you know what, here in Watoto we are doing that too and together we will change it.

Ten days is all I have had so far with Mercy Ministries and already I am blown away by what God is doing. I can only imagine how many lives will be completely changed for the glory of God for ‘no eye has seen, nor ear heard, nor have entered into the hearts of men the plans God has.’  I am certain beyond any reasonable doubt that however hard times may get, there will always be people that will carry the message of hope and change anyone they come across. May The Almighty God bless you Mercy Ministries and may He bless you Watoto." 

- By Melvin

Melvin and the team at the Dedication.


       

5 comments:

  1. MELVIN!!! I'm so glad that y'all gave him a chance to post... It is awesome to hear how blessed he feels by y'all since I know he has blessed you so much as well. Also, I can't believe you guys have been in Uganda for TEN whole days!!! I'm sure the time has absolutely flown by. Enjoy your last few days in Uganda... I'm sure you all have many more sweet moments to experience before you're time is up! I'm praying constantly for each and every one of you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am in tears. To know that the heart of Mercy is understood....THOUSANDS of miles away..is incredible!! May the Lord bless you and your entire household, Melvin!! May He cause His Beautiful Face to shine upon you and the people of Watoto!! Praise God for such an amazing experience....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Melvin's words made me cry, too. I'm always amazed by what God has brought me and my fellow Mercy girls through, and there is without a doubt, purpose for the pain. The work you ladies are doing in Uganda is one example of that purpose! I love the smile on Melvin's face with the silly string, also. :) Who doesn't love silly string??? Love you, girls! You, too, Katelyn & Nandi!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Melvin, your words are inspiring! "I am blown away by what God is doing. I can only imagine how many lives will be completely changed for the glory of God for ‘no eye has seen, nor ear heard, nor have entered into the hearts of men the plans God has.’" I too am blown away by our Mercy grads and their heart to serve. Beautiful!!!! Praying for you, Melvin and your entire amazing ministry!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is SO incredible to hear how the trip has affected someone from Uganda firsthand. And he is right, when I think of the selfless love it takes to travel so far to live with no amentiies/luxuries and to work so hard for people you may not meet but how you had to recognize this is bigger than you, as it will be for the future leaders of Uganda, I am floored! It's a beautiful reflection of God's love! What a blessing to even hear of what God is doing!

    ReplyDelete