Saturday, July 23, 2011

Day 2 - Orientation and The Bulrushes...

Most of our team rose with the sun this morning, grateful to have had a full night’s sleep before our first day of activities. The songs of exotic birds filled the air as each one of us enjoyed a time of prayer and reflection. Once again our humble host, Anita served us a delicious breakfast of sausage, eggs, fresh bananas, and coffee…(very good coffee). After breakfast we loaded the bus and headed for Watoto headquarters in Kampala where we met with our wonderful trip coordinator Brenda and her team. I was blown away by the stories about the vision and birth of Watoto and the more I heard, the more excited I was to be here. Our project manager explained the classroom we will build as a symbol of what we will accomplish in our time here, but I know that the relationships we are building with each other as a team, as well as those relationships we are building with each Ugandan will outlast any building we erect.

The team at Garden City Mall!
After our introduction to the ministry, our gracious host Melvin took us to Garden City mall to exchange currency and enjoy a Ugandan lunch, but many of us were in a hurry to get to our next activity: visiting the Watoto Babies Home, also known as “The Bulrushes.” This home cares for many infants who have been abandoned, severely abused, and malnourished. I was immediately drawn to a little boy named Elijah.
Me (Jen) and Elijah

Elijah was born severely premature and as a result suffered many health complications. He was abandoned at birth, but Watoto took him in. He has come near to death several times in his short two years of life, but as I held him in my arms today, I could tell he’s a fighter. I was brought to tears as I watched each of my Mercy sisters pour love into these children, praying over them and laughing together…There were so many miracles represented in that small room. It was hard to leave, and if it was up to us, we wouldn’t have, but as we headed back to our guest house each one of us had pictures and stories to share about the little lives that affected us so deeply this afternoon.

Thank you for all the prayers, I have never seen a team of girls bond so quickly, how beautiful it is that we all share a common bond and joy! Please pray that God continues to enlarge our hearts for those we serve here as well as open our eyes to God’s vision for each life we come in contact with.  Here are a few more pictures from today...

- By Jen











4 comments:

  1. All of these pictures are warming my heart! I am so glad you girls are bonding so quickly -- there is nothing more wonderful than the Mercy family!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So beautiful...you all pouring love out to these children! Love seeing those pictures and those smiles! Praying for you all!
    Cissy

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so great to see how you are affecting those kids there. Those pictures are absolutely precious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so very proud of each one of you! Thank you for shining so beautifully with the selfless love you are sharing! And...please give those babies lots of love from me too : )
    Lara Izokaitis

    ReplyDelete