Thursday, July 28, 2011

Day 7 - The Bulrushes and the Craft Market...

Me (Natalie) with one of the babies at Bulrushes
Today has been hard to describe. It was wonderful to have a little extra sleep this morning before heading out to The Bulrushes, Baby Watoto, where we were able to stay for several hours. It’s so easy to love those precious babies, to give them my heart, but my heart also aches for them. They are all so tiny and fragile, unaware or their stories, unconcerned with their situations. They lay in groups of 15 or more on the hard concrete floor, but yet they are still just babies, God’s children—born with a purpose and a promise. They are cared for very well by the nannies and the volunteers and we were blessed to share in part of that as we fed, changed, and rocked many of the babies. I felt at peace loving on those babies. My mind was still, not racing with what was next or where I needed to be, just calm. I looked around and saw the beauty of creation and the simplicity of the Gospel and I felt at rest.

After we left the babies home, we went to the Garden City Mall for lunch, which proved yet again to be an adventure. Our host, Melvin, took us into a grocery type store to get some snacks and led us straight to the candy isle…we all went crazy!! Once we left the mall it was time to go souvenir shopping at the craft market. This is always a fun experience because you have to barter! We all shopped like true women and bought many gifts for our family, friends, and supporters. We ended this evening with an appreciation dinner from Watoto at Mambo Place.

Lauren was very excited about her purchase!
It has been a wonderful day, topped off with the fact that today is a personal victory for me. Today is my five year anniversary of graduation from Mercy Ministries. I feel overwhelmingly blessed to be a part of this ministry and to be on this trip on this day in my life! As I reflected throughout the day, God really placed Isaiah 61 on my heart. Thank you so much for you continued prayers and support. Our team is doing very well and has become very close!

- By Natalie













10 comments:

  1. You girls ROCK!!!!! It's nothing short of amazing to see you serving the nation of Africa. You continue to inspire all of us!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This blessed me greatly. Way to go Natalie - five years!!! So, awesome to see you in action serving in Africa.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How incredible--truly transformed lives, transforming lives! Thank you for posting and giving us an inside look at your journey...I love these posts! I pray the seeds of love that you all are planting in the hearts of the people there will continue to flourish.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so awesome! I love to see all the pictures and the great work you all are doing. It is so good to see all the graduates from the STL home, I am so proud of you all!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You guys are such an inspiration!! Keep up the awesome work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You ladies are truly being the hands and feet of Jesus to those little ones. What an amazing opportunity! I am so proud of each of you. I pray that God will flood your hearts with joy, peace and thankfulness today.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Natalie, praise the Lord for all that He has done and is doing in and through you. What a blessing that you got to celebrate your 5 year Mercy anniversary in UGANDA!! God is into the details of our life. Praying for your trip - love, love, LOVE reading the updates!! Love on those beautiful people for me!! -Whitney

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW, Natalie, your words, your pic, your story just blessed my day. Happy Anniversary!! I have a feeling this is just the beginning of your journey of world changing all for His glory!
    Oh, and these babies are too precious for words - I'm in love!!!
    Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Calli, Jen, Lauren, Jessica!!!
    you guys are amazing!!! wow...truly transformed your livesa are! I LOVE reading the updates!! Praying for your trip! Love you guys!

    kacy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Katelyn! It is so awesome to see and read how God used you all in Uganda! I am sure it was a life transforming trip. You girls rock.

    ReplyDelete